Saturday 5 April 2014

12 - Frozen

Connection To VERONICA MARS - The lovely Kristen Bell.

This movie is magical. I feel like I had to start with the start, the main reason was it felt like it was a groan inducing play on words and more importantly it's what I believe to be true. For almost the last 20 years most of the best films from the House Of The Mouse have come from Pixar - I'm not saying everything Disney (animation wise) put out was poor and everything Pixar put out was awesome (the Cars films say hi) but honestly since The Lion King there hasn't been a Disney film I have loved.

Honestly I feel like that has changed - Frozen, for me had the right balance of comedy sidekicks, likable heroine, lovely songs and a story I was invested in - going back to what Disney do best and classic fairy-tale in this case a loose adaptation of The Snow Queen.

I honestly think I got a crush on Anna (voiced by Kristen Bell), now obviously I have a huge crush on Bell are self but there was something about Anna that was just adorable, her eternal optimism, I also liked that she was pitched somewhere between traditional Disney princess and action-girl, it always tends to be either extreme.

I thought the film had a great message about the bond of sisterhood (or siblings in general), Anna never stops loving her sister Elisa, whose being cursed with everything she touches turning to ice. Going back to the other characters which I only briefly touched on we had a likable male lead Krisoff  and his brilliant reindeer Sven, and we also have the snowman Olaf, who dreams of one day being in the sun - Olaf was the character in danger of being annoying if done wrong but Josh Gad does a good job with him as does the writers.

One last note there is a twist that actually genuienly took me by surprise, seriously when was the last cartoon (aimed at kids and families) that did that.

Overall, the first Disney film in a while that took me back to my childhood, the film is charming throughout, with a great character for Bell and a journey worth going on. I absolutely loved this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment