Sunday 6 April 2014

13 - Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Connection To Frozen - both from the House Of Mouse, get that connection out the way before I use it much later since connections are only used once.
I feel like I should put a disclaimer right at the start of any of these I do about films I really loved as a youngling, because my love for these films never goes away and it feel like I probably won't right about them too objectively - it's likely I gush about them pretty much, because the 80's films some of them have gone through 4 decades with me ---

Who Framed Roger Rabbit (which doesn't have a ? right at the end) is to me an absolute classic and watching it even now in 2014 holds up still amazingly well - the animated and real life all seem like they are inhabiting the same world and Jessica Rabbit is still a sexy as hell character.

It is surprising how much of it is "grown up" with murders and an adorable animated shoe getting the dip, I think that it works in it's favour because it's a crime movie that just so happens the main suspect is a talking animated rabbit.

Going back to when I saw this as a kid I just loved the idea of all these characters being in the same world be it Dumbo or Donald and Daffy duelling it out on the pianos or Bugs and Mickey teaming up it's glorious to a kid who had seen these characters before come alive together.

For the human characters I really liked Bob Hoskins portrayal of Eddie Valiant, while it's obvious he struggles with the accent it's not really an issue as he the perfect foil to Roger. Christopher Lloyd plays Judge Doom is genuinely menacing even before his meltdown at the end.

For the animated characters Roger treads the line that I think was planned of being annoying, he's supposed to grate on Eddie and we see that but he's not supposed to grate on us and Jessica, is not surprisingly considered one of the sexiest cartoon characters of all time makes a wonderful femme fatale.

The twist of who framed RR is fairly obvious but that doesn't spoil the enjoyment of the movie one bit which is more a sign of the quality of the movie.

Overall the movie is fantastic, there is so much to enjoy - kids can love the characters while adults can enjoy that and it's story. It's not a surprise this film is so fondly remembered.

No comments:

Post a Comment