Sunday 6 April 2014

16 - The Eye

Connection To KICK-ASS 2 - Chloé Grace Moretz
Remakes of Asian horror, the whole thing started The Ring didn't it back in 2002? Maybe there was ones before that but without The Ring we probably wouldn't have got The Grudge, Dark Water or Pulse, or the sequels to any of these. I don't think I'd be out of line if I called most of them poo and to be honest The Eye never did anything to stand out from the pack.

The original version was released in 2002 and was from Hong Kong (I love Hong Kong cinema and it's never really had the US remakes like other Asian countries have), I have had the original on my shelf to watch for a while but never got around to it, so there is nothing holding me back going into viewing this movie.

I might as well start with my overall opinion and if I had to choose one word about how I felt about that movie it would be - indifferent...

Perhaps one of the words I fear most in watching films, a great film I can get excited by while a bad film I can pinpoint what's wrong but when I feel indifferent it puts me in a tricky position in what to say about it. I certainly don't think Jessica Alba deserved a Razzie nomination for this and the ending is adequately built up too, there is just not enough to keep interest - I think this will be a film I'll forget about even in the next months. I think the plot as clearly a lot of potential blind women gets eye transplant can see but is seeing terrifying visions.

The supporting cast, really don't leave much of an impression, Parker Posey don't get much too do and the male lead Alessandro Nivola is merely okay, another familiar in Chloé Grace Moretz pops up as the littlest cancer patient (and makes me assume that Moretz started acting when she was a fetus).

Overall, bad doesn't seem a fair word to describe if it becomes the end of the year and I ranked all the films it would be difficult to know where to put it, worse films are more memorable, I would probably just say don't watch it in the end, there's 90 minutes you could devote to something more memorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment