Monday 23 June 2014

114 - Mysterious Skin

Connection To 50/50 - Joseph Gordon Levitt.
I'm really putting myself through the ringer today it seems - a film about cancer followed by a film about child abuse... Now, Gregg Araki is the sort of director, who to be fair can alienate people, something like Nowhere is a film I actually like in it's oddness but I remember watching it with somebody and the best way to describe it - is they didn't like it at all - which to me is what you can say about a lot of Araki's work.

This to me with every Araki film taken on their own merits is the best film he has ever made - a film that at times can be a tough watch particularly the early scenes of abuse and later SPOILER rape and attack in New York City END OF SPOILER but is a film worthy of your time and attention.

The in your face homosexuality of the movie might not be to everybody's taste (I'm talking to you in particular homophobes), there is a number of gay sex scenes while don't show any of the act, linger on them, so for me no problem, and same for a lot people I know but hey some people will be put off by it.

You would think a movie where one of the main characters believes he was abducted by aliens would be a turn off but it's played off really well in the film - as is, how do I word this - the opening scene showing the start of the abuse, his baseball coach molesting him - the way it's filmed is shown really well how a pedophile would befriend a youngster to let lower their guard, like it's shown from the kids point of view how they would see the guy.

Overall, often tough going but a really rewarding experience in the long run. The film is pretty dark for the most part but it will stick in your memory for a long time to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment