Monday 23 June 2014

113 - 50/50

Connection To THE 40 YEAR OLD VIRGIN - Seth Rogen.
I think I've been holding off watching this honestly because of the cancer subject - It not exactly an easy subject to be in the mood for, even a film like this that allows moments of comedy - the truth is a lot of us will have known somebody who has fought cancer (or worse - lost someone), so yeah it was about the right time for me at least - well come to think of it to be fair, the first time I had a chance to watch this is when I first got Netflix, and I like most people where indulging on Breaking Bad - so yeah I think it really was a case of too much cancer.

I'm glad I've finally watched it since it was a film I really liked - it wasn't too side-splittingly funny that it distracted from the serious of the movie and yes it wasn't too downbeat that you are absolutely depressed watching it.

For me the characters felt real - from the pair of older cancer patients, to Levitt's girlfriend at the beginning of the movie (played by Bryce Dallas Howard) to Seth Rogen's best friend to Anna Kendrick's inexperienced counselor - they all felt like real people having to deal with this situation, but it's Joseph Gordon-Levitt's make make no mistake about it.

This might sound a weird comment to make but I wish more "disease" movies where like this - able to show all sides of the emotion, whilst most prefer to concentrate on the sad side.

Overall, not a film I'm going to watch much in my life because I don't want to put on a "cancer" film, but if I see it again I can see myself being just as affected by it.

No comments:

Post a Comment