Friday 18 April 2014

61 - Disaster Movie

Connection To THE SILENCE OF THE HAMS - Tony Cox
61 movies... 61 movies... SIXTY ONE BLOODY MOVIES... So 61 movies is what it took for me to have the urge to turn the film off within 5 minutes - it was the moment "Amy Winehouse" showed up that made me just want to give up there and then...

But I decided to go on... yeah I should have just turned the film off at the beginning. For a start, what the "filmmakers" Seltzer and Friedberg seem to think a disaster movie seems to be different to what I think a disaster movie is - in fact a better title would be "2007-2008 Movie" as that's when all the references are just about pooled from so in some ways this film is a time machine of a period of popular culture I don't exactly have the nostalgia for (just yet). Anyway I'm not here to get on the bandwagon of the Seltzer and Friedberg hate I'm here just trying to see how I feel about a film I've heard so much awfulness about.

The film opens with the captain 10,001 which to be honest just reminded me there was a film called 10,000 BC (that was released in yes 2008) which I have thought about as a film not at all since then which is where we meet Amy Winehouse - now my hate for this bit has nothing to with her death that came later but just how awful it all comes across, I was alone watching this (didn't want anybody else finding out) and I just cringed...

We soon get a party which introduces us to the characters some of them main but firstly we have Juno (I guess unwanted teenage pregnancy is some sort of disaster...) who seems to think Juno was sardonic while in the film she was really more hipster, as well as characters based from Wanted, Superbad, No Country For Old Men and even have a scene aping High School Musical, what year was this made again?  Anyway during this party we also get acting heavyweights Kim Kardashian and Carmen Electra having  a cat-fight, Kardashian I must assume as had a boob job but if not you go girl, this scene did nothing for me because neither are my type.

On the streets with all the meteors and shit going by we get the chance to meet even more characters such as Hannah Montana (the scene with her is almost verging on funny but doesn't quite get there), Hancock (predictably bangs his head trying to fly off), we also get a bunch of bikini clad models running from the chaos where one of them literally shits themselves (that bit there is probably the perfect example of the humour in this movie), then they go to a shelter where the Sex and The City girls are... and get this the person playing Carrie Bradshaw is a MAN... HA HA HA

What do you say - as this film only being on 30 minutes??? I was really, really hoping all this would get us to the end of the movie.

Back on the streets and it's more references including from Enchanted (in fariness the impression is pretty good though), followed by an overlong parody from Step Up (I have never seen any of the Step Up films but they keep saying step up to remind us) which is ended by a twister, which reminds us this is mean't to be about disasters which fucking brings out skinny Iron Man who gets crushed by a cow... FOR FUCK'S SAKE then Hellboy comes and he also gets crushed by a cow SERIOUSLY at least The Incredible Hulk loses his shorts (like the oldest joke there is) before getting hit by a cow, at that point I was I was expecting Batman (since Dark Knight came out in 2008) but nope.

The rest of the movie does features characters of references to (yes) Batman, Indiana Jones (tiny and played by Tony Cox), Alvin and The Chipmunks (overlong), Prince Caspian, The Love Guru, Kung Fu Panda and Beuwolf among others

Overall as a comedy it's a dis... (nearly said it), it just throws a barage of unrelated references at a wall and hopes that something sticks, which reminds if the "comedy" isn't about references to stuff of the moment then it's a poop joke. when I'm an old man though in years to come I can watch this and instantly remember what 2008 was like though, so that's... good... I guess

And then the end --- I'M DATING MATT DAMON - what's the bloody point of doing a parody of a song that was dirtier and funnier to begin with. Maybe it's worth watching it because it features all the parody characters so can save you watching the entire film!

No comments:

Post a Comment