Friday 18 April 2014

59 - Posse

Connection To SANTA'S SLAY - Tommy 'Tiny' Lister

The early 90's western - maybe it's because it's my era but I have an affection for it. Young Guns (which was 1988 I know but I found my love for it in the 90's) and it's sequel, the very awesome Tombstone and of course a film I've already covered here The Quick and The Dead, obviously not forgetting of all movies - Unforgiven - Eastwood's awesome farewell to the western genre that made his name.

Posse though for me just got lost in the shuffle and was a film I'd never picked up to own on DVD even when my western shelf was picking up on these 90's westerns, but I genuinely believe if I saw it then I reckon I would have the same affectionate for it as some of them, I think maybe for me I'm just seeing it for the first time some 20 years too late.

For me though now once it gets past the opening scene, despite it's positives I lost interest somewhere along the way despite some nice imagery. I don't have a problem with bad-ass characters at all, except in usually one instance - when they are played by the director, and the most bad-ass of this posse is played by the director himself Mario Van Peebles, while he's nowhere near as bad as Larry Bishop in Hell Ride, who could seemingly make women drop their panties by looking at them, the rest of the "posse" seem to have big man-crushes on Van Peebles.

Billy Zane was fun in a supporting role because he acting like Billy Zane should and be chewing a fair bit of the scenery and to be fair some of the other cast have enjoyable moments such as Tommy 'Tiny' Lister, not Stephen Baldwin though he starts to wear a bit thin after a while.

Overall, Posse is proof that a film needs to seen in the right time of your life, it really isn't bad but in the end it fell into the category of not really doing out for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment