Sunday 22 June 2014

105 - Monsters University

Connection To GHOST WORLD - Steve Buscemi
Behind Toy Story, Monster's Inc. was probably the Pixar film that I would most welcome a sequel too, more so then A Bug's Life, more so then Finding Nemo (which is getting one), more so then The Incredibles... wait scratch that Incredibles and Monster's Inc. where probably neck and neck when it came to which one I wanted a sequel and certainly more so then Cars - which made a load of money and it did get a sequel, Cars remains among my least favourite of the Pixar output.

But it turns out we wasn't going to get a Monster's Inc. sequel but rather a prequel... which mean't no Boo, her and Sully's relationship in the first movie was a great element of it, but I guess we miss out on having potentially a 13 year old Boo which probably would have been a bad thing.

Monsters University does a credit to Monster's Inc. - even adding another dimension to that great film - a nice opening quelled the fears I had that this had the potential to be a film that I would enjoy. Though the film as the college movie cliches it works because - obviously - they are monsters the ones doing this.

I expected that Sully and Mike would not be instant friends - I knew we was going to see the birth of their friendship which again it was enjoyable seeing them on opposite ends before learning to accept each other then the friendship. I had no idea Randall (Steve Buscemi) was in this movie, so was great to see him not be the villain, I kind of wish - to use a wrestling term - showed his heel turn (he starts good, joins a frat but there is no evil turn for him).

I would say the new side characters are not quite as memorable here on the role, the rest of their frat are great but many of them don't stay in the memory quite the same way the predecessor did but it's not a complaint - they've had years to imprint themselves maybe a second viewing of this could change that.

Overall, a film I enjoyed watching from start to finish - Pixar on their game, such as here means adults and kids can watch it together and both love it, this comes recommended for me (like it means something).

No comments:

Post a Comment