Monday 21 April 2014

68 - We're No Angels

Connection To THE BIG WEDDING - Robert De Niro, wasting him on two lesser films I suppose.
I do remember that I saw We're No Angels when I was little, I remember the video cover, us renting it, even it been on, but honestly there is no memory of it, it's something I've always being meaning to revisit and not have left it I guess almost 25 year-ish

When I was little I obviously had no idea of flops and I kind of wish I didn't go through the period of reading reviews that would decide everything I watched, because it really is a better thing sometimes into a film quite blind other then little things like actors etc, you'll be surprised at how many films you'll enjoy then read up afterwards - you mean I wasn't supposed to like that.

Watching this in 2014, it's hard to believe this was at the time a rare venture in comedy for De Niro, considering it seems like every other film he does now is one and he is paired with the similarly serious Sean Penn (who at least had an iconic role in a comedy - Fast Times At Ridgemont High - by then), but I don't know something tells me I'm not exactly going to be watching a rip-roaring comedy when I start We're No Angels.

It's not bad but for a comedy it's rarely funny - which is one of the things you want most from a comedy, but oddly as long as the film is enjoyable it's not a total deal breaker - it certainly should be better though for the talents involved behind the camera (directed Neil Jordan and written by motherfucking David Mamet) and in the front. It mostly feels like there is more tension in whether they will get caught out then the humour.

The female lead is Demi Moore - so It's got 80's Demi Moore since this came out in 1989 - I don't know I tend to not find her as attractive once it's the 90's - she was cuter to me (see also One Crazy Summer, No Small Affair).

Overall, this film feels like a watch once unless I totally don't remember it in another nearly 25 years then it will get seen again, you can't fault the actors or anything but it's missing a spark for me.

Last note - today film-wise ends up being a disappointing day as nothing was that brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment