Thursday 17 April 2014

52 - The Sheriff and The Satellite Kid

Connection To POISON IVY - child actor Cary Guffey.
I hadn't heard of this film at all until today...

When I've watched the previous film - in this case Poison Ivy (1985), I for a bit of fun looking at credits of actors (particularly the less known ones) and then type in the name of a film that might stand out to be into somewhere like You Tube and sometimes you get lucky...

I mean I could have gone for the easier connection without looking for other films, something with Adam Baldwin perhaps or why not another summer camp movie, but hey sometimes you got do something a bit different.

The Sheriff and The Satellite Kid is 1979 children's comedy from Italy, I don't think I've ever seen a kids film from Italy - everything's either western, horror or sword and sandals pretty much, maybe the odd war film and them Titanic cartoons from the turn of the millennium which I guess where mean't for kids, but you know...

This film actually charmed me, what a good little film it is - and is set in a town in Georgia when a UFO is reported in a lake which sends everybody into an hysteria except really the local sheriff (Bud Spencer). But strange things start to happen in the town like an ice cream carts entire cart squirting onto the street or a barbers chair turning. That night a blackout hits the city and comes across somebody who appears to be a little boy (played by Carl Guffey) who calls himself H-725 and as device that can make things go a bit haywire, the Sheriff is not convinced until later when he makes a giant fish leap into his arms and then a horse to speak to him (who has a bit of an attitude).

The two have great chemistry, I liked how the sheriffs heart melts towards the little alien child and we get a nice relationship built up between the pair, we get some moments that actually melted my hearts and more surprising some scenes where I genuinely laughed and not in a groan sort of way (the talking horse was a highlight).

The Sheriff has multiple fights throughout the movie including against an Air Force captain (who's the films baddie) but you can't help think especially the first one which is in broad daylight with witnesses would have landed him in so much out water.

Overall, considering like I said I hadn't heard of it until today I feel like I picked well because I ended seeing something that wasn't even on my satellite (sorry had to) and enjoyed up enjoying it. Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment