Tuesday 17 June 2014

91 - Mean Girls

Connection To HOT TUB TIME MACHINE - Lizzy Caplan.

MEAN GIRLS IS A MODERN CLASSIC - Yes capitalized for emphasis - I bloody love this movie. It's also a movie I can feel sort of proud that I discovered the goodness of it first - I was loving it before other people had ever heard of it - at least in the circles I've traveled with.

And Lindsay Lohan... Lindsay, Lindsay Lohan I wish you could have stayed like this - so cute, not stick thing - and not become the tabloid car-wreck you have become, you might pull yourself out of it, I hope so - films like this proved you had IT, seems like a lot of the female cast have got healthier careers then you though at the moment.

Mean Girls was perhaps the best teen comedy to come along in a while when it was released in 2004, the best since 1995's Clueless certainly, I preferred it to American Pie and it's sequels or an whole rash of teen comedies or varying quality but Mean Girls, was well just SO FETCH (had too).

I remember Mean Girls being love at first sight for me - the film was clever, funny and I could just tell it was going to be instantly quotable - to the point I could annoy friends (you go Glen Coco...) and though my school was never like this (with queen bees and the like) but the characters where easy to get behind.

It's hard to know who shines brightest in this film - Amanda Seyfried's airhead Karen? Daniel Franzese too gay to function Damien? Lizzy Caplan as Janis? Amy Poehler as Regina's Mom (who is not that far off in age from Rachel McAdams in real ife)? Are just among those who shine, I would argue Jonathan Bennett as Aaron as the de-facto love interest make very little dent compared to many of the other characters.

Special props should go to Tina Fey who co-stars and who wrote, I didn't really know too much about before seeing this as I had not seen SNL for a few years at this point but she instantly made an impact on me and enjoyed seeing her work since.

Overall, a film that gets even more beloved with time, and a film I saw highly recommend, if you haven't watched it out of prejudice against teen movies give it a chance you won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment