Wednesday 25 June 2014

137 - Nightmare In Badham County

Connection To CARAVAN OF COURAGE - Fionnula Flanagan.
Last year, I watched the 70's movie The Great Texas Dynamite Chase - which I found great, why I mentioned this, is it is related to how I discovered this movie and that was typing in the Great Texas Dynamite Chase in YouTube on the PS3 and it clicks through various uploads - often full films - that have a similar vibe, whatever going for them and this was one that just stuck out to me.

So yeah I totally went Harry Knowles there telling you about something so not relevant to my opinion of the film - but I guess I just wanted you the fictional reader to know how I came across this movie and sometimes it's worth leaving it up to chance where you get took.

Women-in-prison (or in this case women-in-prison-farm) movies are popular for obvious reasons - potential nudity, potential lesbianism, both jump to mind - even the Netflix show Orange Is The New Black (which has both) shows there is still life in this sub-genre, you can be shocked by the way the women get treated but you can also revel in it's T&A.

Nightmare In Badham County started life as an ABC TV movie but did get released in foreign markets (it was a huge hit in China) with added nudity and the like - this is the version I assumed I watched since there was full frontal, which I can't see being on ABC.

Two girls - one white, one black (which is relevant in the film, because they get segregated once in the prison farm) are pulled over by dodgy sheriff (an enjoyably slimely turn from Chuck Conners) who ends up after they verbally get the better of him a cafe comes up with trumped up charges, that with the help of judge (Ralph Bellamy - also enjoyable) who ending putting the girls in the prison for a minimum of 30 days.

While the film does feature the usual standards of women-in-prison films including the not mentioned yet sadistic prison guards, I found it very enjoyable from start to finish - I was rooting for the girls to get out of there and the bad people to get their comeuppance SPOILER which the first part of the sentence only half happens and the bad guys - no comeuppance END OF SPOILER.

One moment of lesbian/nudity I wanted to point just for the reason of who's in the scene and it was one of the sadistic prison guards being played by Fionnula Flanagan, I bring this up because she has a full frontal scene, and is weird the number of films I've seen with her as an older woman, just not somebody I expected to add to celebrities who I have seen nude.

Overall, well worth a watch particularly if you are fan of this sub genre, it didn't feel like a TV movie at all so don't let that put you off, I'm easily on the side of recommended here.

No comments:

Post a Comment